He Who Must Not Be Named? More like He Who Must Not Be Correctly Pronounced.
Okay, so she might be one of the the only people who says it that way. But it means Jim Dale, the narrator of the U.S. Potter audiobooks, pronounced it how Rowling imagined it.
But Voldy is not alone. The evil wizard shares the silent ‘T’ with comedian Stephen Colbert.
And of course, as with all things Rowling, there’s meaning behind it. The french word ‘mort,’ pronounced with a silent T, means death.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve