Former Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin said in a recent interview that U.S. immigrants should “speak American” and that she’d get rid of the Department of Energy if Donald Trump asked her to serve in his administration.
During a Sunday appearance on CNN’s State of the Union, host Jake Tapper asked Palin what she thought of Trump’s insistence that fellow presidential hopeful Jeb Bush speak only English on the campaign trail. “It’s a benefit of Bush to be able to be so fluent, because we have a large and wonderful Hispanic population that’s helping to build America,” she said according to The Wrap.
Then she added, “We can send a message and say, ‘You want to be in America, A, you’d better be here legally or you’re out of here. B, when you’re here, let’s speak American. Let’s speak English, and that’s a kind of a unifying aspect of a nation is the language that is understood by all.”
Trump recently said that Palin was “a special person” and that he’d “love” for her to be part of his administration if elected. Palin herself told CNN that she’d be a qualified candidate for the Department of Energy, given the former Alaskan governor’s knowledge of “oil and gas and minerals, those things that God has dumped on this part of the Earth for mankind’s use.” (Though as the Washington Post notes, that’d make her a better fit for the Department of Interior.)
The job as energy secretary wouldn’t last long, however.
“If I were head of that, I would get rid of it,” Palin said. “And I would let the states start having more control over the lands that are within their boundaries and the people who are affected by the developments within their space.”
- Succession Was a Race to the Bottom, And Everybody Won
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why You Can't Remember That Taylor Swift Concert All Too Well
- How Four Trans Teens Threw the Prom of Their Dreams
- Why Turkey’s Longtime Leader Is an Electoral Powerhouse
- The Ancient Roots of Psychotherapy
- Drought Crisis Spurs U.S.-Mexico Collaboration
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction