A Russian weather team became trapped in a remote station when a group of polar bears settled outside their camp.
The two meteorologists and an engineer are stuck on Vaygach Island, CBS reports, unable to take readings because the bears have parked right outside their camp and are displaying aggressive behavior. A pair of the bears “recently grappled, fighting near the house,” one of the trapped staff said.
The team has only flares to ward off the bears, which so far have not worked. The weather team has requested assistance from Russian officials.
More Must-Read Stories From TIME
- How an Online Pharmacy Sold Millions Worth Of Dubious COVID-19 Drugs — While Patients Paid the Price
- Why Literally Millions of Americans Are Quitting Their Jobs
- Meet the Women Participating in the Study That Could Change Future of Breast Cancer
- Inside the Battle for the Hearts and Minds of Tomorrow's Business Leaders
- An Innovative Washington Law Aims to Get Foreign-Trained Doctors Back in Hospitals
- Why the Ex-Husband of a Missing Chinese Billionaire Is Risking All to Tell Their Story
- Timothée Chalamet Wants You to Wear Your Heart on Your Sleeve