In her opening monologue at the VMAs, Miley Cyrus made a few waves: she posed with audience members (including pop singer Rita Ora) in order to take history’s greatest selfie. Preceding that, Cyrus discussed her Instagram strategy in a taped sketch with The Mindy Project‘s Ike Barinholtz and Brooklyn Nine-Nine‘s Andy Samberg; both of them advised her to put other aspects forward in the snap, which Cyrus didn’t obey.
The pop singer also referenced both of her parents’ presence in the audience, noting that if the VMAs were like a family celebration, there would be a fistfight before the end of the ceremony. We can only hope.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time