Though Star Wars: Rogue One doesn’t hit theaters until December 2016, Disney released the first photo from the film during its D23 Expo on Saturday. The first glimpse features cast members Felicity Jones, Diego Luna, Riz Ahmed, Jiang Wen and Donnie Yen.
Jones, who was nominated for an Oscar for The Theory of Everything this year, was up until now the only known cast member. Director Gareth Edwards (Godzilla) confirmed in a video from the set in the U.K. that Ben Mendelsohn, Forest Whitaker and Mads Mikkelsen would also be joining the cast.
The movie is a prequel that focuses on the people who stole the Empire’s plans for the Death Star in the original 1977 Star Wars film.
“It goes into new territory, exploring the galactic struggle from a ground-war perspective while maintaining that essential Star Wars feel that fans have come to know,” Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said in a statement.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving