In honor of the 69th Anniversary of India’s Independence on Aug. 15, Google India’s Doodle features Mahatma Gandhi leading the Dandi March of 1930.
The scene depicts a significant moment in India’s push for freedom from the rule of the British Raj and the beginning of the Civil Disobedience Movement. Seventy-eight Congress volunteers participated in the 240-mile march in protest of unfair salt laws.
Leon Hong illustrated the Doodle for Google users in India as they celebrate the Indian Independence Act of 1947 on Saturday.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- The End of Succession
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction