Australian tennis player Nick Kyrgios lived up to his bad-boy reputation at Montreal Masters Thursday when cameras and court-side microphones caught him serving a biting insult to Swiss opponent Stan Wawrinka, saying Kyrgios’ teammate slept with Wawrinka’s girlfriend.
“Kokkinakis banged your girlfriend. Sorry to tell you that, mate,” Kyrgios could be heard saying to Wawrinka between volleys, according to news portal news.com.au.
The comment is presumed to reference Kyrgios’ Davis Cup teammate, Thanasi Kokkinakis, who has been linked in the past with Wawrinka’s girlfriend, Croatian player Donna Vekic. The two played doubles together at the 2014 Australian Open, but Kokkinakis quite literally laughed off insinuations that they were a couple at that time.
In a post-match interview with news.com.au, Kyrgios explained that his smack talk stemmed from Wawrinka “getting a bit lippy with me.” He said the words came, “kind of in the heat of the moment. I don’t know, I just said it.”
Kyrgios eventually won the match after Wawrinka dropped out with a back injury, falling behind 4-0 in the final set.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- Greta Gerwig's Next Big Swing
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at email@example.com