Hillary Clinton ❤️️s millennials.
In an effort to engage with younger voters, the Democratic presidential candidate asked them to share their thoughts on student loans using only emoji, the cutesy pictograms that litter social media.
That’s a rather complex issue to boil down, but we noticed a few specific emoji popped up frequently: the pile of poo, the skull and the pistol. Suffice it to say, younger voters are not happy about their student loans.
Here are some of the responses which followed Clinton’s rules:
And then, of course, came the responses that did not follow the three-emoji rule. There were those who mocked her attempts to connects with the youths:
Some people questioned her oversimplification of a complicated topic:
Others decided to turn around and ask her a question:
Some people showed their overall support while letting her down gently:
And then, finally, there were the people who anticipated this blowing up in Clinton’s face:
But it was a more specific complaint:
That led her social media director to apologize:
We look forward to seeing voters’ three-emoji thoughts on fighting the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, reducing greenhouse gas emissions and reforming immigration next.
- 2022 Time100 NEXT: TIME’s List Of Emerging Leaders Who Are Shaping the Future
- Industrial Farming Causes Climate Change. The ‘Slow Food’ Movement Wants to Stop It
- What Reading 220 History Textbooks Taught One Scholar About Racism in America
- Artist Oliver Jeffers Wants to Paint the World Out of a Corner
- A Vibrant North Korean Community in London Finds Its Days Are Numbered
- COVID-19 Vaccines Can Make Periods Longer, Study Says
- Column: What Happened When My Entire Family Came Out
- How DeSantis Handles Hurricane Ian Will Shape His Political Future
- 6 Groups Making Mental Health Care More Accessible to People of Color