According to the St. Louis County Police Department, the person who appears to grab a gun from his waistband around the 10-second mark has been identified as Tyrone Harris Jr., 18, by the city’s Bureau of Crimes Against Persons.
Harris, who is black, was shot after he opened fire on the officers on Monday, the one-year anniversary of the death of Michael Brown, according to the St. Louis police chief. His father called the authorities’ description of the events “a bunch of lies,” and said two girls who were with his son told him that he was unarmed.
Prosecutors charged Harris on Monday with 10 felonies, including four counts of first-degree assault on a law enforcement officer. He remains hospitalized in critical condition.
- Column: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive