According to the St. Louis County Police Department, the person who appears to grab a gun from his waistband around the 10-second mark has been identified as Tyrone Harris Jr., 18, by the city’s Bureau of Crimes Against Persons.
Harris, who is black, was shot after he opened fire on the officers on Monday, the one-year anniversary of the death of Michael Brown, according to the St. Louis police chief. His father called the authorities’ description of the events “a bunch of lies,” and said two girls who were with his son told him that he was unarmed.
Prosecutors charged Harris on Monday with 10 felonies, including four counts of first-degree assault on a law enforcement officer. He remains hospitalized in critical condition.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms