A young French boy’s life was spared after his parents offered him more of the little water they had while hiking on perilous trail in New Mexico. His parents both died and he has since been reunited with his grandmother.
The tourists had traveled to the White Sands National Monument and set out to hike the Alkali Flat Trail, a 4.6 mile journey that takes visitors to the heart of the park’s sand dunes. Because of the extreme heat that visitors can face in the summer, the park recommends visitors carry about a gallon of water with them while on the trail and resting frequently. The park also recommends hiking during cool times—the early morning and evening.
The couple, however, only had two 20 ounce bottles of water among them, according to the Alamogordo Daily News, a local newspaper. And according to CNN, officials believe they started their hike around 1 p.m. local time, when temperatures hovered around 101 degrees.
To keep their son hydrated, the couple reportedly drank one sip of water as he took two. Both of the parents, identified as Ornella and David Steiner, died in the heat. The boy told officials Ornella was trying to head back to the start of the trail when she collapsed. The father and son were attempting to carry out the remainder of the journey, but only made it another 2,000 feet before succumbing to the heat. Rangers later found the bodies and the son next to his dead father.
According to Alamogordo Daily News, the boy’s grandmother flew to New Mexico from France to take care of him.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer