Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump doubled down on criticism of a female debate moderator who pressed him on his history of offensive comments Thursday.
In a call-in interview on CNN Friday, the real estate mogul said Fox News host Megyn Kelly was “off base” when she asked him about derogatory comments he has made about women, his past support for abortion and his criticism of his Republican opponents.
“She gets out and she starts asking me all sorts of ridiculous questions,” he told CNN host Don Lemon. “You know, you could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever. In my opinion, she was off base.”
Trump added that he was not alone, arguing that the “hundreds of thousands of people on Twitter” had also written that they did not like Kelly’s questions.
In one of the first questions of the debate, Kelly asked Trump about comments in which he “called women you don’t like ‘fat pigs, dogs, slobs, and disgusting animals,'” “made disparaging comments about women’s looks” and told a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice that “it would be a pretty picture to see her on her knees.”
Trump responded by arguing that he was kidding and that he didn’t have time for “total political correctness.” After the debate, he blasted that and other questions as “nasty” and “unfair.”
Below is the full text of Trump’s response to a question on CNN Friday about Kelly:
- How the Biden Administration Lost Its Way
- Hanya Yanagihara Is Never Going to Read Your Mean Tweets
- Inside Finland's Plan to End All Waste by 2050
- Chloe Kim Is Ready to Win Olympic Gold Again—On Her Own Terms
- Asia Has Kept COVID-19 at Bay for 2 Years. Omicron Could Change That
- Investors Are Sinking Real Money Into Virtual Real Estate, With No Guarantees
- The Man Putin Fears