“One thing that never survives this place is a sense of humor,” evil sidekick Ajax, played by Ed Skrein, tells Ryan Reynolds’ character Wade Wilson, a.k.a Deadpool, while strapping him onto a gurney. “We’ll see about that, Posh Spice.” Wilson deadpans.
If the first official trailer for the eagerly-awaited Marvel movie Deadpool is any indication, the movie promises just as many laughs as it does thrills.
The red band trailer, which begins with the cancer diagnosis which prompts Wilson to volunteer for the genetic experimentation program that gives him his superpowers (including an inability to be killed), is an action-packed blur of gunshots, punches, smashed cars and…more jokes.
“You may be wondering why the red suit…well that’s so bad guys can’t see me bleed,” he says during a showdown with several armed gunmen. “This guy’s got the right idea…he wore the brown pants.”
The highly anticipated Deadpool film, set for a 2016 release, is a spinoff from the forgettable X-Men Origins: Wolverine in which Deadpool has a cameo — a fact Reynolds references in the “trailer for the trailer” released Monday.
Watch the full trailer below.
(WARNING: Explicit content and language with graphic violence)
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Inside the White House Program to Share America's Secrets
- Meet the 2024 Women of the Year
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- Long COVID Doesn’t Always Look Like You Think It Does
- Column: The New Antisemitism
- The 13 Best New Books to Read in March
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Write to Rishi Iyengar at email@example.com