A drone dropped a package containing heroin, marijuana and tobacco in an Ohio prison yard last week, authorities said on Tuesday.
According to a report from the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, inmates at the Mansfield Correctional Institution near Cleveland began fighting over the contraband not long after camera footage showed a drone passing over the recreation yard, the Mansfield News Journal reported.
Correctional officers used pepper spray to break up the brawl, and strip-searched all inmates who had been present on the yard during the apparent drone delivery, according to the report. Nine men whom officials said were fighting over the drugs were placed in solitary confinement. There were no injuries to any staff or inmates.
Officials said further investigation revealed the package had been intended for an inmate, though authorities could not confirm whether the incident was gang-related.
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Clandestine Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- The Biggest Snubs and Surprises of the 2023 Oscar Nominations
- Talking Less Will Get You More
- Kamala Harris Subtly Emerges as Powerful White House Asset
- How Avatar: The Way of Water Became the 6th Movie in History to Make $2 Billion
- Is There Really No Safe Amount of Drinking?
- How Our Cells Strategize To Keep Us Alive