Game of Thrones has just cast another acclaimed veteran actor. Silver-screen legend Max von Sydow is joining the HBO hit, EW has learned exclusively.
The famed performer, whose career spans dozens of feature films — from The Exorcist to Minority Report to the upcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens — has signed on to season 6.
Bonus: We know who von Sydow is going to play, and it’s a character we’ve already met!
Von Sydow will play the Three-Eyed Raven, the mystical tutor of Bran Stark, who was briefly seen in the season 4 finale (where the character was portrayed by a different actor).
The casting comes on the heels of another famed European thespian joining the fantasy hit. On Saturday, EW exclusively reported that Ian McShane (Deadwood) has joined the cast as well. McShane’s role, however, has remained under wraps.
Both McShane and von Sydow are not expected to have a lot of screen time next season, but both roles are crucial in their own way.
Thrones is currently in production and von Sydow is already filming on the set. The series is expected to return for 10 episodes next spring. Last week, HBO’s programming president Michael Lombardo revealed that the network plans at least eight seasons of the show, a bump from the oft-reported seven season plan.
- Supreme Court Overturns Roe v. Wade, Undoing Constitutional Right to Abortion
- What the Supreme Court’s Abortion Decision Means for Your State
- The Failure of the Feminist Industrial Complex
- The Fight Over Abortion Has Only Just Begun
- Column: How Stereotypes Shape the Language People Use
- Everything We Know About Beyoncé's New Album, Renaissance
- Homes Made from Straw or Fungi Can Now Get You a Cheaper Mortgage in the Netherlands
- Going on Vacation This Summer? Welcome to the 'Revenge Travel' Economy