Beach sand isn’t the easiest place to walk, especially if you’re a baby turtle.
In this video shot by Mike Ross of Naples, Fla., young turtles carefully crawl out of the sand at Barefoot Beach and make their way slowly into the waves of the ocean.
The nesting season for turtles is May through October, according to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Turtles make between 40,000 and 84,000 nests annually on the Florida coast. Each nest contains between 80 and 120 eggs.
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving