I went through a number of great books on happiness and pulled together ten research-based tips that can help build a happier life:
1) Cut the small talk. Discuss what matters.
(For more on how to be someone people love to talk to, click here.)
2) Have at least 5 friends you can discuss your problems with.
(For more on how to make friends and strengthen friendships, click here.)
3) Don’t just cheer people up. Celebrate their good news.
(For more on how to avoid the four most common relationship problems, click here.)
4) Write down your hopes and dreams.
(For more on how writing can help you overcome anxiety, tragedy or heartache, click here.)
5) Live a month like it’s your last.
(For more on what you can learn about happiness from ancient wisdom, click here.)
6) Know what makes everyone happy and everyone sad.
(For more on what the happiest people in the world do every day, click here.)
7) Join a group.
(For more on how to never be frustrated again, click here.)
8) For a happier life, set goals.
(For more on what the most productive people do every day, click here.)
9) Optimism can save your life.
(For more on how to be optimistic, click here.)
10) Anticipating happiness will double your happiness.
(For more on how to savor the good things and be happier, click here.)
This piece originally appeared on Barking Up the Wrong Tree.
Join over 200,000 readers. Get a free weekly update via email here.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time