Correction appended, Aug. 18, 2015
Your original copies of the Harry Potter books may be tattered and underlined, pages earmarked to your favorite parts, the spines cracked from so much use. But since digital copies of the books have been available to buy on Pottermore, users are highlighting their favorite quotes on Kindle e-readers. Below are the top highlights from each of the seven books in the series. See if your favorite made the list.
- “After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”
- “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
“You think the dead we have loved ever truly leave us? You think that we don’t recall them more clearly than ever in times of great trouble?”
- “If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”
- “Just because you’ve got the emotional range of a teaspoon doesn’t mean we all have.”
- “It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.”
- “Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love.”
Correction: The original version of this story misattributed quotations from the first two books. “After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure” is from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and “It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities” is from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.