Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump promises he’ll play nice at next week’s debate. The business mogul tweeted Thursday that he is looking forward to the debate that will feature the 10 candidates with the highest average across national polls. The latest Quinnipiac poll showed Trump leading the pack among Republican presidential contenders.
Though Trump promises to keep things civil, as TIME’s Zeke Miller and Philip Elliott reported Thursday, Republican campaigns are mulling what tactics they’ll deploy when their candidates face off against the bombastic businessman next Thursday.
“It’s drilling down and getting into specifics of policy,” one strategist told them. “You can show that not only the emperor has no clothes—the candidate has no answers.”
Read more about how Republicans are preparing here.
- These Charts Show COVID-19 Is Still the Pandemic of the Unvaccinated
- Reddit Allows Hate Speech to Flourish in Its Global Forums, Moderators Say
- What It Takes to Get Support for a Black Boy With Special Needs
- Shonda Rhimes Already Knows What You're Going to Watch Next
- How Harry Reid Paved the Way for Democrats to Kill the Filibuster
- President Biden's Speech in Atlanta Was Designed to Appeal to Black Voters—But Not Everything About It Succeeded
- China Is Finding Fewer Reliable Sources of Coal. That Could Be Bad News for the Climate