Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump promises he’ll play nice at next week’s debate. The business mogul tweeted Thursday that he is looking forward to the debate that will feature the 10 candidates with the highest average across national polls. The latest Quinnipiac poll showed Trump leading the pack among Republican presidential contenders.
Though Trump promises to keep things civil, as TIME’s Zeke Miller and Philip Elliott reported Thursday, Republican campaigns are mulling what tactics they’ll deploy when their candidates face off against the bombastic businessman next Thursday.
“It’s drilling down and getting into specifics of policy,” one strategist told them. “You can show that not only the emperor has no clothes—the candidate has no answers.”
Read more about how Republicans are preparing here.
- Extreme Heat Makes It Hard for Kids to Be Active. But Exercise Is Crucial In a Warming World
- Pelosi's Visit to Taiwan Has Badly Damaged U.S.-China Relations, But Not Irreversibly
- Reality TV Has Reshaped Our World, Whether We Like It or Not
- Progress Is Not A Given. It is Won: The Connection Between James Baldwin and Toni Morrison
- The Inflation Reduction Act's Name Says A Lot About The Climate Fight
- How Reservation Dogs Became More than Just Must-See Television in Its Second Season
- The U.S Will Soon Have Space Force Ambassadors Around the World