Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump promises he’ll play nice at next week’s debate. The business mogul tweeted Thursday that he is looking forward to the debate that will feature the 10 candidates with the highest average across national polls. The latest Quinnipiac poll showed Trump leading the pack among Republican presidential contenders.
Though Trump promises to keep things civil, as TIME’s Zeke Miller and Philip Elliott reported Thursday, Republican campaigns are mulling what tactics they’ll deploy when their candidates face off against the bombastic businessman next Thursday.
“It’s drilling down and getting into specifics of policy,” one strategist told them. “You can show that not only the emperor has no clothes—the candidate has no answers.”
Read more about how Republicans are preparing here.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science