Windows 10, the latest version of Microsoft’s iconic operating system, launched on Wednesday. Microsoft has given the interface several nips, tucks and full-on reconstructive surgeries since the first version released some 30 years ago in the early days of personal computing.
Flip through the slides above to see how Windows has evolved new features, typefaces and designs, while retaining that essential concept of the computer screen as a “window” onto the computer’s features. It certainly captures the spirit of the software better than Microsoft’s original codename, “Interface Manager.”
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- U.S. Doctors Can't Be Silent About Gaza: Column
- The Movie Wives Would Like a Word
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time