If Taylor Swift’s thing is inviting her friends up on stage, Ed Sheeran’s is helping his friends get engaged.
After participating in his friend Jake Roche’s proposal to his girlfriend earlier this week (in return for KFC), Sheeran invited Glen Hansard and Kodaline onstage at his Dublin show on Saturday, where Kodaline bassist Jason Boland proposed to his girlfriend. “Congratulations to Jay, what a way to propose!” Sheeran tweeted.
And the singer hasn’t just helped out his friends with their proposals — he’s even had a hand in a few fan engagements. In May, he invited a concertgoer onstage to propose when he noticed the man in the second row. In June, he gave a shoutout to a Canadian couple who got engaged during a concert. And it’s not just proposals: Earlier this year, he crashed an Australian couple’s wedding to perform “Thinking Out Loud.”
A few weeks ago, the singer told EW that he gets requests to help with marriage proposals “every single day.” “We always say no just because if it’s planned, it looks planned,” he said. “Yesterday we had a spontaneous one — a dude sitting in the second row, every now and then he’d pull out a banner that just said, ‘Proposal on stage?’ and then close it. And halfway through the gig I was like, ‘F—it, just come up!’ So that was cool. And I felt something because of that because it was so spontaneous — I got emotional watching it. So it just depends.”
- Here’s How Effective the Original Vaccines Are Against Omicron
- The Promise—And Possible Perils—of Editing What We Say Online
- How Trump Survived Decades of Legal Trouble: Deny, Deflect, Delay, and Don't Put Anything in Writing
- Flint Is Still Shaken by its Water Crisis—and Residents Are Experiencing Long-Term Mental-Health Issues
- A Beer Shortage Is Brewing. A Volcano Is Partly to Blame
- How Fasting Can—and Can't—Improve Gut Health
- Cities Keep Enforcing Curfews for Teens, Despite Evidence They Don't Stop Crime
- Joe Manchin’s Red Tape Reform Could Supercharge Renewable Energy in the U.S.
- Column: We Should Talk More About What a Brilliant Actor Marilyn Monroe Was