Sharknado 3 had barely premiered Wednesday night before the studio announced a fourth installment of the cult movie hit, this time with a fan-driven twist.
For Sharknado 4, fans will get to decide whether April, Tara Reid’s character, lives or dies. As Sharknado 3 ends with a piece of a spaceship flying towards April, a voiceover says, “Now’s your chance to be part of Sharknado history! You decide if April lives or April dies by tweeting your choice now or by going to Sharknado.syfy.com to vote,” according to The Hollywood Reporter. “Her fate will be revealed in Sharknado 4 … because we’re not done yet!”
“That was a shocker! I didn’t expect that!” Tara Reid told The Hollywood Reporter of the surprise ending.
The first two Sharknado films have already generated more than a billion tweets, BBC reports, so the social media campaign to decide the plot of Sharknado 4 may break the Internet.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms