Today, July 22, Alex Trebek turns 75, but the legendary Jeopardy host is just as hip and with-it as ever. He likes to showcase that by occasionally rapping or reciting popular songs that have been incorporated into the clues. These instances are always a treat (and they tend to be great fodder for viral videos).
So today, on his 75th birthday, we offer a sampling of Trebek’s greatest musical moments, beginning with his most recent.
1. “Umbrella” by Rihanna
RiRi fans will note that Trebek totally mispronounced the eh-eh-eh part.
2. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
This came across less like rap and more like slam poetry. Genius.
3. A wonderful variety of rap songs
Trebek spit verses from Grandmaster Flash, Dr. Dre, Public Enemy, Notorious B.I.G. and the Beastie Boys.
4. Another assortment of rap songs
This time, Trebek took on Cypress Hill, Shock G, MC Hammer, Notorious B.I.G. (again) and the Beastie Boys (again.) Glorious.
5 “Girls Girls Girls” by Mötley Crüe
This was equal parts hilarious and disturbing.
6. “Pokerface” by Lady Gaga
Was he dramatically stuttering for comic effect — or because he’d never actually heard this song before? We’ll never be certain.
7. “Trouble” and “Mean” by Taylor Swift
Trebek kept his Tay-Tay impressions pretty low-key, but he did offer a slight southern twang when reciting the lyrics to “Mean.”
8. “Drunk in Love” by Beyonce
In this Beyonce-themed category, Trebek sadly only recited a few words, but he also lovingly referred to her as Bey. So there’s that.
9. “Battle Hymn of the Republic” and other songs, Auto-Tuned
Back in 2010, did Trebek recite an entire category in Auto-Tune? Sure did.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer