J.K. Rowling tweeted Friday that Hogwarts is tuition-free because the Ministry of Magic pays for all magical education expenses.
The tweet was prompted by a Mic piece that estimated it would cost more than $43,000 per year for Harry Potter and his friends to go to Hogwarts, if you included the cost of wands, robes, and cauldrons. Over seven years of magical training, that adds up to more than $300,000.
But when asked about the cost, J.K. Rowling clarified that actually, magical education is free.
When Mic tweeted back at her that Muggles should follow the Ministry’s lead, Rowling heartily agreed.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time