Amazon announced Wednesday that it’ll be creating its first-ever original film.
It will be Spike Lee’s next major movie and has been dubbed Chi-Raq. According to Amazon’s press release, the film features an all-star cast, including Nick Cannon, Wesley Snipes, Jennifer Hudson, and Samuel L. Jackson.
“Chi-Raq will shed light on the serious, but often overlooked issue of violence in inner cityChicago,” Amazon said.
“Spike Lee is one of the most distinct and visionary filmmakers of our time,” said Ted Hope, who heads up Amazon’s motion picture production, in a statement. “It would be impossible to find a better filmmaker with whom to launch our studio.”
“I’m honored to be part of the film that will launch Amazon Studios and to tell a story that is so important,” said Spike Lee in a statement. “Please don’t be fooled by the title of Chi-Raq, this new Spike Lee joint will be something very special. We have assembled a stellar cast.”
Amazon first announced it’d be creating original films in January. The e-commerce giant said at the time that is has plans to produce 12 films a year.
The announcement coincides with Amazon’s first Prime Day in celebration of its 20th anniversary.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- All of the Other Major Investigations Into Donald Trump
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- The Case for Betting on Succession's Tom Wambsgans
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- Why Trump's Call to Protest Is Flopping
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement