Since the news broke Monday that rapper 50 Cent (real name: Curtis Jackson III) filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in a U.S. court in Connecticut, media outlets, comedians, and web writers have been tweeting all of the obvious jokes and puns. Most poke fun at the irony of a rapper named after money filing for bankruptcy, while others point out that he won’t be “broke,” so they are schooling users in personal finance and economics. Here is a glimpse at the funniest Twitter reactions:
The irony of a guy named 50 Cent filing for bankruptcy is not lost on me
— Patrick Scott Patterson (@OriginalPSP) July 13, 2015
50 Cent has declared bankruptcy. In a related story, Ice Cube's freezer is broken.
— Eli Braden (@EliBraden) July 13, 2015
The European Union is now in talks with 50 Cent.
— Dave Pell (@davepell) July 13, 2015
— NBC New York (@NBCNewYork) July 13, 2015
50 Cent's new business card: pic.twitter.com/cjTNirdwnj
— TrivWorks (@TrivWorks) July 13, 2015
These 50 cent jokes are cheap... It's ill advised for your brand but bankruptcy is a business move people. Trumps' filed bankruptcy x3 times
— Jake (@JakesplaceHQ) July 13, 2015
— Fox News (@FoxNews) July 13, 2015
Down to his last 50 Cent? Rapper files for bankruptcy http://t.co/N3Y3lfU5kT
— The Guardian (@guardian) July 13, 2015
Since 50 Cent filed for bankruptcy does that mean creditors can collect 10 cents on the half dollar?
— Lizz "Insufferable Wench" Winstead (@lizzwinstead) July 13, 2015
50 Cent has filed for bankruptcy? That makes 0 Cents.
— Brett Phipps (@InverteBrett) July 13, 2015
Twitter says 50 Cent is broke.
Personal Finance 101 says filing for bankruptcy is a cost-effective move to erase debt/protect investments.
— Alecko Eskandarian (@alecko11) July 13, 2015
— Lillian Rizzo (@Lilliannnn) July 13, 2015
*Sees 50 Cent filed for bankruptcy*
*Logs on to Twitter*
— Jamie Delaney (@Jamie_Delancey) July 13, 2015
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List