“It’s been called fat pony, it’s been called Shetland pony, it’s got a lot of different names,” said cartoonist Kate Beaton of her beloved equestrian character.
Beaton, the creator of Hark! A Vagrant!, says she first started drawing the pony in 2008. Since then, it’s been featured on Adventure Time and is now a main character in her new children’s book, The Princess and the Pony.
She was inspired by a class trip to the Shetland Islands. “It was like a dream,” Beaton said. “They’re so small! Everything there is small. Their sheep are smaller. It’s a place after my own heart.”
In the video above, Beaton teaches you how to draw her signature pony in a few simple steps.
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating