A family got swept into a riptide on Nantucket Island while they were taking a video using a selfie stick.
Derrick Johns, a former marine, was pulled under with his wife and daughter Erynn, who was holding the selfie stick, reports ABC. Their struggles underwater are captured on video.
“I did a few tours overseas with the Marines and I never felt that kind of fatigue or fear,” Johns said in an interview with an ABC affiliate in Boston.
Lifeguards and other people on the beach rushed to help the family. Erynn says that holding on to the selfie stick helped the rescue.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow