A family got swept into a riptide on Nantucket Island while they were taking a video using a selfie stick.
Derrick Johns, a former marine, was pulled under with his wife and daughter Erynn, who was holding the selfie stick, reports ABC. Their struggles underwater are captured on video.
“I did a few tours overseas with the Marines and I never felt that kind of fatigue or fear,” Johns said in an interview with an ABC affiliate in Boston.
Lifeguards and other people on the beach rushed to help the family. Erynn says that holding on to the selfie stick helped the rescue.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- In Photos: How Wildfire Smoke Impacted Cities
- How Antitrust Laws Could Kill the PGA-LIV Golf Merger
- Teens Are Taking Wegovy for Weight Loss
- Prince Harry Breaks Royal Convention to Testify in Court
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How a Texas High Jumper Has Earned Nearly $1 Million
- The Best TV Shows of 2023 So Far
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk