Singer Ariana Grande has apologized after a video emerged showing her apparently licking doughnuts and saying she hates America.
TMZ released footage of Grande touching random doughnuts with her tongue in a store, then saying she hates America when a store worker brings out a large tray of the treats. In a statement sent to Buzzfeed, the singer apologized for her language writing: “I am EXTREMELY proud to be an American … What I said in a private moment with my friend, who was buying the donuts, was taken out of context and I am sorry for not using more discretion with my choice of words.”
Grande adds that she is an advocate for healthy eating and that the obesity epidemic in the U.S. bothers her. “The fact that the United States has the highest child obesity rate in the world frustrates me. We need to do more to educate ourselves and our children about the dangers of overeating and the poison that we put into our bodies. We need to demand more from our food industry.”
Notably, Grande did not comment on the licking.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time