The first film in the new Star Wars franchise isn’t even out yet, and already details are emerging about more of them.
On Tuesday, The Hollywood Reporter wrote that Christopher Miller and Phil Lord, the duo that directed The Lego Movie, are working on a Han Solo origin film set to be released in 2018 as part of the Star Wars anthology series.
Disney, which bought LucasFilm in 2012 for $4 billion, confirmed the movie, in a statement with comments from the directors: “We pledge ourselves to be faithful stewards of these characters who mean so much to us,” said Miller and Lord.
The Han Solo movie will be part of a standalone anthology series, the first of which, Rogue One, comes out in 2016. Separately, the first film in the new trilogy, Episode VII: The Force Awakens, comes out in December of this year.
As THR notes, the Han Solo news should be candy to big Star Wars fans for a number of personal details about who is involved. Miller, who will-co-direct, interned at LucasFilm when he was younger and, at one point, even put on a Stormtrooper costume at George Lucas’s request. Meanwhile, the screenplay is being written by father-son team Jon and Lawrence Kasdan—the latter, 66, co-wrote The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, as well as Raiders of the Lost Ark, which starred Harrison Ford, who played the original Han Solo.
To read more about the major bet Disney and its CEO Bob Iger is placing on the new line of Star Wars films, check out our January 2015 Fortune cover story: Bob Iger’s empire of tech.
- Governor Gretchen Whitmer on Her Fight for Abortion Access in Michigan
- Inside the War on Fake Consumer Reviews
- Column: Europe's Refugee Crisis Is Going to Get Worse
- How Lawmakers Are Trying to Protect Abortion Data Privacy
- The Surprising Thing That Could Help Ease Inflation
- Finding the American Dream in Canada
- The Safest Sunscreens to Buy—and Which Ingredients to Avoid
- Fact-Checking 8 Claims About Crypto’s Climate Impact
- How Grief Upsets Your Gut Health
- Who Could Replace Boris Johnson As U.K. Prime Minister?