The Apple Watch’s Force Touch feature, which can tell the difference between harder and softer touches, will be implemented in Apple’s upcoming iPhones. The feature enables app developers to add new functionality to their software — by using Force Touch on the Apple Watch’s notifications display, for instance, users can clear all their notifications with a single touch.
According to sources familiar with the matter, Apple suppliers have begun early production of new iPhone models with the new touch screen technology, Bloomberg reports. The addition will help the new iPhones — speculated to be the “iPhone 6s” and “iPhone 6s Plus” — stay ahead of rival smartphone makers, particularly Samsung.
Force Touch was made available on Apple’s latest MacBooks, which were released in May.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment
- How Tech Giants Turned Ukraine Into an AI War Lab
- In the Belly of MrBeast
- The Closers: 18 People Working to End the Racial Wealth Gap
- How Long Should You Isolate With COVID-19?
- The Best Romantic Comedies to Watch on Netflix
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org