Less than a week after calling Apple out for not wanting to pay artists during the launch of Apple Music, Taylor Swift is now saying she’ll make her latest album available on the streaming service.
The pop star announced via a tweet that 1989, her smash hit album that was the best-selling LP of 2014, will be available on Apple Music. Swift’s back catalogue is available on some on-demand streaming services but 1989 has never been available to stream before.
The announcement is a big coup for Apple, which is entering a crowded market of subscription streaming services. On Sunday Swift penned a widely shared blog post criticizing the company for its plan to not pay artists during a three-month free trial period of Apple Music. The tech giant reversed course in a matter of hours and is now planning to pay artists a small amount for streams that occur during the free trial.
Swift has spoken out in the past against the idea of offering up artists’ music for free. She removed her entire catalogue from Spotify around the time of 1989‘s release in the fall because she doesn’t approve of the service’s free, ad-supported tier.
In her tweets, Swift also seemed to address the claim made by some observers that her entire spat with Apple might be a marketing ploy to promote herself and Apple Music. “In case you’re wondering if this is some exclusive deal like you’ve seen Apple do with other artists, it’s not,” she said. “This is simply the first time it’s felt right in my gut to stream my album. Thank you, Apple, for your change of heart.”
- Employers Take Note: Young Workers Are Seeking Jobs with a Higher Purpose
- Signs Are Pointing to a Slowdown in the Housing Market—At Last
- Welcome to the Era of Unapologetic Bad Taste
- As the Virus Evolves, COVID-19 Reinfections Are Going to Keep Happening
- A New York Mosque Becomes a Refuge for Afghan Teens Who Fled Without Their Families
- High Gas Prices are Oil Companies' Fault says Ro Khanna, and Democrats Should Go After Them
- Two Million Cases: COVID-19 May Finally Force North Korea to Open Up