The family of South Carolina shooter Dylann Roof expressed shock and grief in their first public announcement since Roof allegedly drew a gun on a bible study group, killing 9 people.
The statement supplied to the press on Friday reads:
The 21-year-old, who faces nine charges of murder, appeared in court on Friday for a bond hearing in which his bail was set at $1 million. His next court appearances are scheduled for October 23 and February 5.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms