Vice President Joe Biden and Dr. Jill Biden said Thursday that their “hearts ache with sorrow” in the wake of Wednesday’s church shooting in Charleston, South Carolina, that left nine people dead. Their statement was released after President Obama’s remarks from the White House and after authorities confirmed the suspected shooter, Dylann Roof, 21, was apprehended in North Carolina.
Here’s the full statement from the Bidens:
Read next: Everything We Know About the Charleston Shooting
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- For Both Donald Trump and Alvin Bragg, the Central Park Jogger Case Was a Turning Point
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- Why Not All Observant Muslims Fast During Ramadan
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement