The adorable bespectacled kid from Jerry Maguire is all grown up now, but that didn’t stop him from recording a special Father’s Day message for his on-screen father figure, Tom Cruise.
Screen Junkies — the same team who bring us honest trailers — recruited the now 24-year-old actor, Jonathan Lipnicki, to participate in its tongue-in-cheek “Dads of Our Lives” series. His message is, uh, not as heartwarming as you might expect.
“I’m here to thank you, Jerry Maguire, for everything you did for me – from drunkenly brooding on my mom’s couch having a nervous breakdown to dropping completely unnecessary f-bombs when I wanted to go to the zoo,” Lipnicki jokes. “Sure, you weren’t my real dad, but you loved me anyway.”
The actor also takes this opportunity to rant about being pigeonholed as the cute kid from Jerry Maguire, nevermind that he’s a “talented, classically trained adult actor capable of playing a wide variety of roles.” Then he starts yelling and dropping f-bombs and things get weird. Happy Father’s Day.
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List