The Game of Thrones’ epic season finale drew the show’s largest audience ever.
The episode—which set the Internet abuzz with reactions—drew 8.1 million viewers, according to Nielsen “live plus same-day” estimates, despite coinciding with the NBA finals in most parts of the country. The fifth-season sendoff saw ratings 13% higher than last week’s episode (7.14 million) and last season’s finale (7.09 million).
And if your Twitter feed seemed like it was exclusively Game of Thrones-related content, that may be because it was. The finale also landed atop the Nielsen Twitter TV Ratings weekly list, with 436,000 relevant tweets seen by 5.1 million people.
- The Fight to Save the Salmon
- Inside the World of Black Bitcoin, Where Crypto Is About Making More Than Just Money
- The 'Great Resignation' Is Finally Getting Companies to Take Burnout Seriously. Is It Enough?
- Suddenly, Everyone on TV Is Very Rich or Very Poor. What Happened?
- Colin Powell Reflects on His Mistakes in Unpublished TIME Interview
- Business Travel's Demise Could Have Far-Reaching Consequences
- If the U.S. Spends Big on Climate, the Rest of the World Might Follow