A Texas volunteer firefighter named Aaron Van Riper recently responded to a head-on collision, and when he arrived on the scene, he found out that the victims were his own wife and 7-year-old son.
“It’s my family. My wife was laying there on the ground,” Van Riper told ABC 13 KTRK. “[By] the look of the car, I don’t know how either one of them lived. There was nothing left of that car.”
The boy has been released from the hospital, but Van Riper’s wife, Amber, remains there after a nine-hour surgery on her pelvis.
A friend of the family set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for medical bills, and on Wednesday night, a donation for $15,000 came in signed “Taylor Swift.” (Billboard confirmed that this donation really did come from the one and only Tay-Tay. BuzzFeed also confirmed that it’s not a hoax.)
Oh, Taylor, you beautiful, talented, brilliant, powerful musk-ox.
- What a Photographer Saw in the West Bank
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Accenture’s Chief AI Officer on Why This Is a Defining Moment
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- Inside COP28's Big 'Experiment'
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time