A Texas volunteer firefighter named Aaron Van Riper recently responded to a head-on collision, and when he arrived on the scene, he found out that the victims were his own wife and 7-year-old son.
“It’s my family. My wife was laying there on the ground,” Van Riper told ABC 13 KTRK. “[By] the look of the car, I don’t know how either one of them lived. There was nothing left of that car.”
The boy has been released from the hospital, but Van Riper’s wife, Amber, remains there after a nine-hour surgery on her pelvis.
A friend of the family set up a GoFundMe page to raise money for medical bills, and on Wednesday night, a donation for $15,000 came in signed “Taylor Swift.” (Billboard confirmed that this donation really did come from the one and only Tay-Tay. BuzzFeed also confirmed that it’s not a hoax.)
Oh, Taylor, you beautiful, talented, brilliant, powerful musk-ox.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms