The White House Press briefing room was evacuated Tuesday in the middle of the daily press briefing by spokesman Josh Earnest.
As Earnest took a question from a reporter about recent cyber security breaches at the Office of Personnel Management, the Secret Service entered the James Brady Press Briefing room to give an order to evacuate.
Reporters who had been in the briefing room immediately began live-tweeting the evacuation. The White House has not yet provided details on the evacuation, but reporters at the White House say the Secret Service brought bomb-sniffing dogs to the scene.
Reporters were let back into the briefing room around 2:40 p.m. “We’ll try this again,” Earnest said as the briefing started again.
Earnest said the evacuation came after a call to the local police in Washington around 2 p.m. made a bomb threat.
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- We Should Get Paid for Our Online Data: Column
- The COP28 Outcomes Business Leaders Are Watching For
- The 100 Must-Read Books of 2023
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time