How do you measure how much drugs a city’s residents are using? One way is to check the sewers. According to new research from the E.U., London residents flush away the most cocaine of any major European city.
The study, which looked at 50 cities around Europe, found that 737 mg of cocaine was flushed per 1,000 people each day last year, according to the BBC. Amsterdam came in second place with 716 mg, and Antwerp in third with 632 mg.
Peak days for cocaine-flushing in London are Fridays and Saturdays, with Sundays and Mondays showing a significant drop-off.
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List
- Despite World Cup Heartbreak, the Future Looks Bright for Men's Soccer in the U.S.