How do you measure how much drugs a city’s residents are using? One way is to check the sewers. According to new research from the E.U., London residents flush away the most cocaine of any major European city.
The study, which looked at 50 cities around Europe, found that 737 mg of cocaine was flushed per 1,000 people each day last year, according to the BBC. Amsterdam came in second place with 716 mg, and Antwerp in third with 632 mg.
Peak days for cocaine-flushing in London are Fridays and Saturdays, with Sundays and Mondays showing a significant drop-off.
- Who Will Be TIME's Person of the Year 2023?
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- The Dirty Secrets of Alternative Plastics
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time