Melissa McCarthy is famous because she makes us laugh—but beyond just that, she makes us think. She takes the “Get beach body ready!” cover lines on women’s magazines and makes them irrelevant, shedding light on what really matters: her work as a woman, a mother and an actress.
Most recently, she slammed a reporter who mocked her looks in Tammy, calling him out in person at the Toronto Film Festival. She’s also a crusader for change, starting a plus-size clothing line called Melissa McCarthy Seven7 to ensure that all women can dress for their style and mood, no matter her size. As her latest comedy Spy hits theaters Friday, soak up some of her wisdom with her most inspiring quotes.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2022
- I Tested Positive for COVID-19 Right Before the Holidays. What Should I Do?
- Column: How To Create a Sense of Belonging In a Divided America
- How to Survive the Holidays if You're a Scrooge
- Life Expectancy Provides Evidence of How Far Black Americans Have Come
- The 10 Best Albums of 2022
- Iran Has a Long History of Protest and Activism
- 6 Ways to Give Better Gifts—Based on Science