Amazon now gets the honor of reportedly being the first company to use its packaging to advertise an un-related product.
The company is rolling out ads on its delivery boxes in bright yellow to boost the new Minions movie from the Despicable Me franchise, Geek Wire reported. Boxes began being sent to customers last week. According to Geek Wire, there are three different types of ads. There’s also a link on the box to a Minions page on the e-commerce site.
The article notes that while Amazon has used its packaging in the past to market its own products, this is the first time that it has done so for a non-Amazon product. Per Geek Wire:
It already appears to be a hit on social media, as customers have been posing with their Minions-themed boxes and posting to Twitter.
Here’s an image of the packaging:
- Volodymyr Zelensky and the Spirit of Ukraine: TIME's 2022 Person of the Year
- Mickey Guyton Is TIME's 2022 Breakthrough Artist of the Year
- The 10 Best Nonfiction Books of 2022
- Column: What Elon Musk Gets Wrong About Free Speech
- The Forgotten Story of One of the First U.S. Soldiers Killed Overseas After Pearl Harbor
- Why You're More Likely to Get Sick in the Winter, According to New Research
- Column: What the Protests Tell Us About China's Future
- 18 Last-Minute Gifts for Everyone on Your List