A Silicon Valley recycling firm is offering $100,000 to a woman who discarded a rare Apple 1 computer after it sold for $200,000 at a private auction.
The computer was hidden in several boxes donated by a woman who was cleaning out her garage after her husband died, CleanBayArea Vice President Victor Gichun told NBC Bay Area. She neither requested a tax receipt, nor left her contact information, and the boxes went unchecked for weeks.
“We really couldn’t believe our eyes. We thought it was fake,” Gichun said of the find.
CleanBayArea is looking to find the woman in order to evenly split the proceeds from the sale with her. Apple 1 was the original computer built by co-founder Steve Wozniak in 1976; only around 200 were made.
- Taylor Swift Is TIME's 2023 Person of the Year
- Meet the Nation Builders
- Why Cell Phone Reception Is Getting Worse
- Column: It's Time to Scrap the Abraham Accords
- Israeli Family Celebrates Release of Hostage Grandmother
- In a New Movie, Beyoncé Finds Freedom
- The Top 100 Photos of 2023
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time