The trailer for Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s new action flick may be literally groundbreaking, but it turns out that San Andreas isn’t entirely realistic. Dr. Lucy Jones, a seismologist with the U.S. Geological Survey, known in some circles as the Earthquake Lady for her expertise in the field, went to the premiere and live-tweeted the entire movie — for science.
Jones used her scientific knowledge to fact-check the movie’s portrayal of The Big One and it appears that Hollywood has taken some liberties with the truth:
You can read all her tweets here, but the overall takeaway of Jones’s tweets is that while San Andreas is not exactly realistic, it is important to prepare for disasters. If you have an emergency plan, take a disaster training course, get a landline, learn to drop, cover and hold on, and create a post-disaster family communication strategy, you can be your own competent, sexy hero, and, hopefully, you won’t need The Rock to save you from an earthquake.
- Alison Roman Won't Sugarcoat It
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- The World's Greatest Places of 2023
- Exclusive: Effective Altruist Leaders Were Repeatedly Warned About Sam Bankman-Fried Years Before FTX Collapsed
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's Surprising Second Act
- Gaslighting, Narcissist, and More Psychology Terms You're Misusing
- In This Texas County, There's No Such Thing as Moving on From COVID-19
- In Defense of Nora Ephron's Unfairly Panned Heartburn Movie
- Want Today's Top Headlines in Your Inbox? Sign Up for The Brief