Though David Letterman was dry-eyed throughout his final episode of the Late Show, the montage that played during Foo Fighters performance of “Everlong” ensured that no one in the audience was.
The song, which Letterman has previously declared a favorite, played over a video of highlights spanning the late-night host’s 33-year career, which included myriad stunts, countless interviews with celebrities and politicians and, most of all, lots of laughs.
Check out the performance below.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- Bad Bunny's Next Move
- 'How Is This Still Happening?' A Survivor Questions America's Gun Violence Problem
- Nicole Chung: The Person I Became After My Father's Death
- Can Birth Control Help Solve the World's Rat Problem?
- About That Devastating Tom-Shiv Scene in Succession's Premiere
- Why Humza Yousaf's Win Is 'Historic' for Scotland
- If Donald Trump Is Indicted, Here's What Would Happen Next in the Process
- It's Time to Say a Loving Goodbye to John Wick
- Who Should Be on the 2023 TIME100? Vote Now
- Column: Ozempic Exposed the Cracks in the Body Positivity Movement