Maybe think twice before using that cheat code.
Blizzard Entertainment has banned “a large number” of World of Warcraft accounts after finding that they were using bots, or “third-party programs that automate gameplay” according to a company post. The number of banned accounts was not revealed in Blizzard’s post, but a widely cited screenshot from a user’s chat with a game master indicates that more than 100,000 accounts were banned for six months. World of Warcraft has an estimated 7.1 million active subscribers.
In addition to an explanation of the ban, Blizzard encouraged World of Warcraft players to report accounts they suspected of cheating.
The game’s community manager, Micah Whipple, tweeted a response to the cheating from his World of Warcraft persona account:
- Elliot Page: Embracing My Trans Identity Saved Me
- How Safe Is India's Railway Network?
- The 'Dopamine Detox' Is Having a Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- What NASA Can Teach SpaceX About Protecting the Environment
- The Best Movies of 2023 So Far