Maybe think twice before using that cheat code.
Blizzard Entertainment has banned “a large number” of World of Warcraft accounts after finding that they were using bots, or “third-party programs that automate gameplay” according to a company post. The number of banned accounts was not revealed in Blizzard’s post, but a widely cited screenshot from a user’s chat with a game master indicates that more than 100,000 accounts were banned for six months. World of Warcraft has an estimated 7.1 million active subscribers.
In addition to an explanation of the ban, Blizzard encouraged World of Warcraft players to report accounts they suspected of cheating.
The game’s community manager, Micah Whipple, tweeted a response to the cheating from his World of Warcraft persona account:
- Why House Democrats Refused to Save McCarthy
- The 100 Best Mystery and Thriller Books of All Time
- Inside One Indian iPhone Factory
- What Happens to Diane Feinstein's Senate Seat
- Self-Silencing Is Making Women Sick: Essay
- The Enduring Charm of John Grisham
- Kerry Washington: The Story of My Abortion
- Want Weekly Recs on What to Watch, Read, and More? Sign Up for Worth Your Time