Roughly 97% of mobile gamers won’t spend a penny on in-app purchases this year, but the remaining 3% will shell out billions, according to new research that shows a tiny minority of gamers generate huge revenues for game makers.
Mobile gaming companies have lowered download prices and removed intrusive advertisements in a bid to get more gamers addicted to the sheer pleasure of advancing through their levels, the Wall Street Journal reports. The goal is to hook those elusive gamers who are willing to spend upwards of $100 a month in their favorite games to unlock new levels and enhance their powers.
Those big spenders may be exceedingly rare, but according to market research firm Swrve Inc., they single-handedly account for roughly two-thirds of revenue from in-app purchases.
Read more at the Wall Street Journal.
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction