In the new trailer for Ricki and the Flash, Streep plays a rocker—with an awesome, funky hairdo—who returns to her family in a time of crisis for her daughter, played by Streep’s IRL daughter Mamie Gummer.
Though Streep may be the vocalist in the family, the cast is rounded out by some other people who have notable pipes. Broadway star Audra McDonald plays the woman who fulfilled Ricki’s role in her family in her absence, Pitch Perfect’s Ben Platt is a bartender and Kevin Kline is Ricki’s ex. (Never forget The Pirates of Penzance.)
Ricki may be the type of woman who talks about going grey, ahem, down there, but the trailer ultimately makes it look like the sweetness of the film outweighs the saltiness.
Ricki and the Flash hits theaters Aug. 7.
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- Inside Frances Haugen's Decision to Take on Facebook
- Why We Should Stop Freaking Out About Inflation
- Austria's Plan to Make COVID-19 Vaccines Compulsory Is Dividing Citizens — and Experts
- Inside the 80-Year Quest to Name Pearl Harbor's Unknown Victims
- Buying a House Feels Impossible These Days. Here Are 6 Innovative Paths to Homeownership
- 'They're Very Close.' U.S. General Says Iran Is Nearly Able to Build a Nuclear Weapon
- A Charter School's Racial Controversy Reveals the Real Battle For America's Classrooms