In the new trailer for Ricki and the Flash, Streep plays a rocker—with an awesome, funky hairdo—who returns to her family in a time of crisis for her daughter, played by Streep’s IRL daughter Mamie Gummer.
Though Streep may be the vocalist in the family, the cast is rounded out by some other people who have notable pipes. Broadway star Audra McDonald plays the woman who fulfilled Ricki’s role in her family in her absence, Pitch Perfect’s Ben Platt is a bartender and Kevin Kline is Ricki’s ex. (Never forget The Pirates of Penzance.)
Ricki may be the type of woman who talks about going grey, ahem, down there, but the trailer ultimately makes it look like the sweetness of the film outweighs the saltiness.
Ricki and the Flash hits theaters Aug. 7.
- Exclusive: The Making of the U.S. Military's New Stealth Bomber
- Your Next House Could Be Made on an Assembly Line
- The Legal Implications of the Debate Over Whether 'Extreme Racism' Is a Mental Illness
- Why European Countries Are Giving Teens Free Money To Spend on Books, Music, and Theater
- Republican Skepticism of Trump Has Never Been Higher
- Column: The U.S. Prison System Doesn't Value True Justice
- How Green Is the Qatar World Cup’s Outdoor AC?
- 16 Funny and Whimsical White Elephant Gifts Under $25
- The 5 Best New TV Shows Our Critic Watched in November 2022