The fashion on display at the annual Met Gala hosted by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York is often awe-inspiring. The headdresses, the capes, the gowns—all bring the red carpet to life.
And some looks (this year, it was headdresses and capes) bring out the best (or worst) of the Internet wise-crackers and inspire a generation of memes we didn’t know we needed. Who would have thought to put the cast of the Wizard of Oz on the back of Rihanna’s epic cape, or a fire emoji atop Sarah Jessica Parker’s head?
Behold, some of Monday night’s best.
Rihanna, as breakfast and dinner
Rihanna as Belle and the Yellow Brick Road
Sarah Jessica Parker as Syndrome from the Incredibles
Sarah Jessica Parker wearing the fire emoji
Kim Kardashian as Beyonce in 2012 (Though, in all fairness, at least she’s not being compared to couch)
Anne Hathaway as Princess Leia
- Essay: The Tyre Nichols Videos Demand Solemnity, Not Sensationalism
- For People With Disabilities, Losing Abortion Access Can Be a Matter of Life or Death
- Inside the Stealth Efforts to Smuggle Starlink Internet Into Iran
- Natasha Lyonne on Poker Face and Creating Characters Who Subvert Leading-Lady Tropes
- How to Help the Victims and Community After the Monterey Park Shooting
- Why Grocery Staples Are So Expensive Right Now
- Quantum Computers Could Solve Countless Problems—and Create a Lot of New Ones
- Where to Watch All of the 2023 Oscar Nominees
- How to Be Mindful if You Hate Meditating