A video of a Baltimore mother hitting and cursing at her son for participating in the protests that rocked the city on Monday drew praise from the city’s police commissioner.
The mother was caught on live television slapping her son, whose face is obscured by a ski mask, as protesters filled the streets following the funeral for Freddie Gray, who died earlier this month after sustaining a spinal injury in police custody. “I know that’s you,” the mother can be heard shouting as she chases the young man, striking him repeatedly.
“I wish I had more parents that took charge of their kids out there tonight” Baltimore police commissioner Anthony Batts said in response to the footage, which went viral.
The demonstrations following Freddie Gray’s death began peacefully but turned violent over the past couple of days, with some protesters attacking police and looting shops on Monday.
- Inside the Massive Effort to Change the Way Kids Are Taught to Read
- Dubai's Real Estate Market is Booming. One Company is Making It Possible to Invest From Anywhere in the World
- How to Exercise When It's Really Hot Outside
- A New Documentary Sheds Light on a Pivotal Movement in Asian American History
- Far From Home: Afghan Women are Attempting to Build New Lives Abroad
- What Experts Say About How Valuable The Inflation Reduction Act's Green Subsidies Will Be
- What to Know About Long COVID in Kids
- Want to Do More Good? This Movement Might Have the Answer