The family of Freddie Gray condemned the rioting which broke out in Baltimore overnight, saying they were “appalled” that protests over Grey’s death had descended into chaos.
“To see that it turned into all this violence and destruction, I am really appalled,” Gray’s stepfather Richard Shipley said.
Gray’s mother, Gloria Darden, said that she wants justice for her son — but urged protesters not to “do it like this.”
“Don’t tear up the whole city just for him,” she said. “That’s wrong.”
Read the story from our partners at NBC News
More Must-Reads From TIME
- AI Is Not an Arms Race
- Here's What's in the Debt Ceiling Deal
- Matthew Macfadyen on Succession Series Finale
- How Worried Should the World Be of China's New COVID Wave?
- What Erdoğan’s Victory Means for Turkey—and the World
- Why Everyone Is Having Bad Sex (Especially Young People)
- The 30 Most Anticipated Movies of Summer 2023
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction