The family of Freddie Gray condemned the rioting which broke out in Baltimore overnight, saying they were “appalled” that protests over Grey’s death had descended into chaos.
“To see that it turned into all this violence and destruction, I am really appalled,” Gray’s stepfather Richard Shipley said.
Gray’s mother, Gloria Darden, said that she wants justice for her son — but urged protesters not to “do it like this.”
“Don’t tear up the whole city just for him,” she said. “That’s wrong.”
- Inside Mississippi's Last Abortion Clinic—and the Biggest Fight for Abortion Rights in a Generation
- Do Current COVID-19 Tests Still Detect Omicron?
- The First U.S. Offshore Wind Farm Could Be a Lifeline for Struggling New England Cities
- Welcome to TV's Era of Peak Redundancy
- The Key Role a Local Newspaper Played in the Trial Over Ahmaud Arbery's Murder
- TIME's Top 100 Photos of 2021
- 2021: The Year the Grift Kept Giving