Rapper Vanilla Ice has defended Adam Sandler’s comedy The Ridiculous Six amid criticism over cultural insensitivity.
Sandler has come under fire after several Native American actors walked off the set arguing the film was offensive. The film is reportedly a spoof on the Western film The Magnificent Seven.
Vanilla Ice plays Mark Twain in the movie. The rapper defended the film to TMZ saying, “It’s a comedy. I don’t think anybody really had any ill feeling or any intent or anything. This movie isn’t [Dances] With Wolves, it’s a comedy. They’re not there to showcase anything about anybody they’re just making a funny movie.”
Vanilla Ice added that he does see both sides, saying he is part Native American.
More Must-Reads From TIME
- LGBTQ Reality TV Takes on a Painful Moment
- Column: How the World Must Respond to AI
- What the Debt Ceiling Deal Means for Student Loan Borrowers
- India’s Female Wrestlers Are Saying #MeToo
- 7 Ways to Get Better at Small Talk
- Florence Pugh Might Just Save the Movie Star From Extinction
- The End of Succession
- Scientists Get Closer to Harnessing Solar Power From Space